Starting with an IT degree and then by using an affinity for organisation, hard work, people and machines, I worked my way up through key technical, managerial and sales positions in several of the largest and most prestigious IT corporations in the world. Latterly I worked in a much sought-after but high-pressure, presales Solutions Architect position with one of the world’s largest global IT Consultancy’s, who have to remain nameless.
I was responsible for the development and costing of technological solutions and designs that encompassed all non-functional requirements and was the technical authority for the briefing of service delivery teams.
In this position I drew upon multiple IT disciplines combined with broad technical, architectural, business and softer skills which I used to engage and collaborate with varied stakeholders including subject matter experts, service managers, clients, third parties and technology vendors to safeguard the design and delivery of technical and business solutions.
Then (assuming you are still reading) ..... on the spur of the moment, as something to do on a free weekend, I took a Dry Stone Walling beginners course where I had an awakening, becoming conscious of the positivities to be gained from a “digital detox” and became hooked on a lifestyle which embraced;
* the majesty of physical exercise, breathing fresh air, beholding the beauty of nature and the extensive outdoor lifestyle,
* making physical exertions to become physically tired at the end of the day, instead of just mentally exhausted,
* doing something sustainable, important to our nations heritage and breathing fresh air,
* being a part of nature; cold when it was cold, wet when it rained and warm when the sun shone,
* seeing a direct correlation between my efforts and progress,
* getting away from it all, without the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) knowing I am doing my part in preserving the heritage of my country and understanding the role of walls in the preservation of flora and fauna in the wild and
* ultimately being satisfied with the solid, tangible, beautiful and persevering end result!
Several more-advanced courses later, in the beautiful landscape of the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), plus Dry Stone Walling Association (DSWA) certifications received .... I decided to leave behind the corporate safeties and extra benefits to do something more creative, wholesome, stress-busting and environmentally conscious.
I SUMMONED UP THE COURAGE TO LET GO OF WHAT I WAS AND BECOME WHAT I MIGHT BE!